Friday, June 26, 2009

American Girl From Great, Great Aunt Jean












My Great Aunt Jean who is Kassidy's Great, Great Aunt Jean (hey..the more greats the better) ordered Kassidy one of the American Girl Brand dolls and I think she did it shortly before our trip to China to even get her. Like everyone, she had waited a long time to actually be able to see her in person and so my guess is she had a long time to come up with the perfect idea for a gift and that she did. I had heard and saw many of my acquaintances, friends, and family (including niece Bobbi) with these dolls. They are unique in the fact that the dolls meet your specifications of the way they look. You pick their eye color, hair color, skin tone and clothes so that these dolls resemble the recipient. They come in all different races also. So Aunt Jean ordered a doll by the name of Ivy for Kassidy. When we first got it right after we got back from China, I opened up the box it came in and took a peak but did not even get it out because we wanted to preserve it for when Kassidy was older and more able to appreciate it. Yesterday I was looking in her closet and came across the large box that Ivy was in and decided to free her! There were several little boxes within the large box and one contained a doll stand where we could just display Ivy on her dresser so that is exactly what we decided to do once we took a few pictures of Kassidy and Ivy together. You can buy these dolls different outfits and Aunt Jean actually purchased an extra outfit that matched one that Kassidy had perfectly so we took some pics of the two together in their matching outfits. She loves Ivy and I know one day she will be gentle enough to play with her but not NOW! I think she would wear her down with kisses as you can see in the pics.
Aunt Jean I just wanted to display this post and hope you get to read it because you not only have given my daughter a very special gift but you have been a very influential person in my life. Although we may not have spent a bunch of time together growing up I did have those few times I would come and stay with you overnight or the times I visited you at Mamaw's house and especially the time you helped us care for mom when she was dying. I can never tell you how much that meant to our whole family because, at that time, we were dealing with so much with dad and I working and Jodi with two little ones. It was so overwhelming at times and then you stepped in along with a few others and were there on a regular basis to help us care for mom. You are and always will be special to me and here is to hoping Kassidy will be able to have some memories with you also but if not then she will always know who her Great, Great Aunt Jean is with the stories I will share with her.

1 comment:

marty said...

what a great gift.Kassidy and her American Girl doll are so cute.